Our Forums Have Moved!

Our forums moved! Check out our brand new forums (https://forums.cookiebrigade.org).

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 16
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Child's Play Invitational Golf Tournament  (Read 19675 times)

April 18, 2013, 08:29:46 PM
Brigadier Kintyre is organizing the Brigade for the Child's Play Invitational Golf Tournament on May 20th. We need volunteer bakers and anyone local to Seattle who is willing to attend and help out.

Want to bake? Post here and let us know and send a PM to Kintyre for mailing information. Cookies need to arrive prior to May 17th!

Want to help out on site with distributing and organizing? Send a PM to Kintyre and let her know you're availability times along with your full legal name to provide to Jamie so you can get access to the event.

Course: Inglewood Golf Club - Kenmore, WA
Date: Monday, May 20, 2013
Time: 11:45AM-1:00PM registration
Format: Shotgun start with a four-person scramble. Team with the lowest round score wins!
Ticket: http://store.penny-arcade.com/products/the-2013-childs-play-invitational-golf-tournament

This has been approved by Child's Play and the course is apparently very excited to host us!

Organizer: Kintyre

Bakers:
Lexicongrrl
Unfettered - Maybe
Emimonster
Ransim
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:04:37 PM by ransim »

April 18, 2013, 08:53:48 PM
I'd be willing to set up somewhere if the golf course allows it. If not traditional, or even more discrete, brigadiering. My husband is playing, so if they allow spectators I'd go with them and hand out cookies along the way and in between events. Wander during lunch, etc. If we're being allowed to set up then it is far simpler. If discrete I'd plan on storing the cookies in our car, counting the money in the car during or after the reception and turning it over to Jamie before we leave the event.

If we were to do this, my husband and I would probably schedule a tour of the course before the event to familiarize ourselves with the layout. It looks like food is only available in the clubhouse so setting up something low key around the 9th hole may make the most sense. I've attended the Child's Play dinner before so I'm aware of the very different tone between Child's Play events and PAX.

There are probably only about 150 participants, so it's a much smaller crowd (36 4 somes being the most an 18 hole shotgun format can really handle). I'd love to go hand out cookies, but as a last resort maybe we could just donate some for the gift bags.

April 18, 2013, 09:03:45 PM
I'd be willing to set up somewhere if the golf course allows it. If not traditional, or even more discrete, brigadiering. My husband is playing, so if they allow spectators I'd go with them and hand out cookies along the way and in between events. Wander during lunch, etc. If we're being allowed to set up then it is far simpler. If discrete I'd plan on storing the cookies in our car, counting the money in the car during or after the reception and turning it over to Jamie before we leave the event.

If we were to do this, my husband and I would probably schedule a tour of the course before the event to familiarize ourselves with the layout. It looks like food is only available in the clubhouse so setting up something low key around the 9th hole may make the most sense. I've attended the Child's Play dinner before so I'm aware of the very different tone between Child's Play events and PAX.

There are probably only about 150 participants, so it's a much smaller crowd (36 4 somes being the most an 18 hole shotgun format can really handle). I'd love to go hand out cookies, but as a last resort maybe we could just donate some for the gift bags.

Alright I'll send an email to Jamie about this just to get her thoughts. If anyone else is going or interested please let me know.

April 20, 2013, 11:02:10 PM
I've emailed Jamie but its likely we won't hear a response until next week.

April 30, 2013, 04:39:30 PM
Took a bit of time but Jamie finally heard back from the course!

Hey Mary,

Finally heard back from the course and in their words "Bring on the cookies!"

I'll be emailing Kintyre individually but if any other brigadiers are interested let us know here.

April 30, 2013, 07:03:03 PM
Woo hoo! Sounds great. I can share my address if anyone is interested in shipping. That's great that we'll be able to operate above board as a sanctioned group. I gave Ransim my number to share with Jamie and you already have my email. My name is Maris. The only other thing I would really need is some kind of identifier. Since I'm new I don't have a patch or anything. I can make something myself or pick something up from a local if that's easier.

April 30, 2013, 07:37:04 PM
I may have time to bake/ship some cookies up that week.  I'll know better in a week if I'll have time.

Is there a best service/method for shipping cookies?  I've never shipped more than a tin as part of a gift anywhere before.

I'm in the southeast, if that has any impact.
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week. - George S. Patton

April 30, 2013, 10:46:24 PM
I may have time to bake/ship some cookies up that week.  I'll know better in a week if I'll have time.

Is there a best service/method for shipping cookies?  I've never shipped more than a tin as part of a gift anywhere before.

I'm in the southeast, if that has any impact.

Postal service priority mail actually works really well for shipping as long as you pack it well.

Kintyre I've also contacted Lexi, who lives in Seattle so she might be able to donate some cookies to the cause as well. Do me a favor and PM me your mailing address so I can send you a patch and a pin and if I get a chance I can send out some cookie bars as well.

May 01, 2013, 12:43:13 PM
Done.
Unfettered, let me know when you're ready and I'll give you my address to ship to.

May 01, 2013, 06:19:18 PM
Hooray! I love this! I will definitely bake, and see if work isn't busy in which case I could take off and help out as well. We don't need as many distributors as a full blown PAX, but we want to make sure we have at least a few.
Do we have a volunteer who will be the coordinator in charge of the event?

May 01, 2013, 07:07:21 PM
Hooray! I love this! I will definitely bake, and see if work isn't busy in which case I could take off and help out as well. We don't need as many distributors as a full blown PAX, but we want to make sure we have at least a few.
Do we have a volunteer who will be the coordinator in charge of the event?

Kintyre I believe is going to take the lead. Lexi has offered to give her some guidance. But yes you won't need as many people for this as PAX and ideally we won't want more then 4 or 5 people at most, I can't see the event being big enough to need it.

I should be a lot of fun especially since the course seems to be very happy to have us attending.  ;D

May 01, 2013, 09:47:20 PM
This is a smallish event, but it would be nice to have at least another person. It's doable solo, but it will be easier with at least 2. Let me know if you can make it Emi. If not I'm happy to come pick up your cookies, or meet you somewhere.

May 01, 2013, 09:53:57 PM
After coordinating with Jamie, any brigadiers who want to attend will need to provide their names and will check in with Jamie upon arrival at the tourney. The current plan is to have a golf cart for the tournament itself and a table at the mixer. It looks like Child's Play is going to help with signage but if there's some lying around that would be nice to have. If we get another volunteer we have the option of setting up a table on the course as well. You will need to provide your own lunch (there is a restaurant in the clubhouse).

I'd like to have 300 cookies as a bare minimum, we're planning on 150 people. Thoughts from veterans? What is the usual cookie to attendee ratio per day?

May 01, 2013, 10:09:57 PM
After coordinating with Jamie, any brigadiers who want to attend will need to provide their names and will check in with Jamie upon arrival at the tourney. The current plan is to have a golf cart for the tournament itself and a table at the mixer. It looks like Child's Play is going to help with signage but if there's some lying around that would be nice to have. If we get another volunteer we have the option of setting up a table on the course as well. You will need to provide your own lunch (there is a restaurant in the clubhouse).

I'd like to have 300 cookies as a bare minimum, we're planning on 150 people. Thoughts from veterans? What is the usual cookie to attendee ratio per day?

Punzie has the felt sign. She was going to work on splitting it into two separate signs, one for the US and one for Aus, I'm not sure if she's managed to do that but she could mail it if she has.

We've generally been covert so big signs haven't really been something we had a lot of.  ;)

As far as ratio goes, not sure we can compare PAX to this, we never have enough at PAX, even with almost 12K cookies at East this year we ran out Sunday.

I would say 300 is a pretty good number, you want to have at least 1/2 of that as standard chocolate chip. Fancy cookies are fun but end of the day ye olde chocolate chip is the most popular.

I will try to put together an email by the end of this week to brigadiers to see if any other local Seattle people can pitch in whether on site or baking.

May 01, 2013, 11:03:17 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Half or more (up to 200) chocolate chip and then rice krispy treats, which doubles as a gluten free option. Then I was kind of stuck. I'm not a fancy cookie kind of person, and while a few people have mentioned mailing stuff I have no idea what I'll get so I was planning on trying to make 300 myself. I've churned out 100 chocolate chip in an afternoon before. I'm also thinking about fudge and I want to see how it freezes. I'd like a good dairy free option, I may need to buy molds and go with your hard candy recipe for that. I'm also worried about getting it all done.

I'm excited but this is a lot for my first time as a Brigadier.

* Recent Posts

topic Updated Forum
[Brigade News]
amloca
July 14, 2019, 07:06:05 PM
topic Calling all Bakers: Recipes & Photos Wanted!
[Recipe Talk]
sweetycandy
June 11, 2019, 08:58:44 AM
topic cookie brigade and you
[General Chat]
daniel77
May 26, 2019, 07:21:27 AM
topic Orange Citrus (frosted cookie) recipe?
[Recipe Talk]
kintyre
May 02, 2019, 09:46:51 PM
topic The Cookie Brigade at PAX!
[General Chat]
adam77
April 04, 2019, 08:34:00 AM
topic Introduce Yourself
[General Chat]
kintyre
March 22, 2019, 04:05:15 PM
topic A school project