Our Forums Have Moved!

Our forums moved! Check out our brand new forums (https://forums.cookiebrigade.org).

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 11
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Child's Play Invitational Golf Tournament  (Read 19752 times)

May 02, 2013, 12:35:59 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. Half or more (up to 200) chocolate chip and then rice krispy treats, which doubles as a gluten free option. Then I was kind of stuck. I'm not a fancy cookie kind of person, and while a few people have mentioned mailing stuff I have no idea what I'll get so I was planning on trying to make 300 myself. I've churned out 100 chocolate chip in an afternoon before. I'm also thinking about fudge and I want to see how it freezes. I'd like a good dairy free option, I may need to buy molds and go with your hard candy recipe for that. I'm also worried about getting it all done.

I'm excited but this is a lot for my first time as a Brigadier.

You can do the candy without molds. You can line a cookie sheet with sides with parchment paper or foil and pour the molten sugar into it. Once its hardened you drop the pan from about 6 inches onto the counter and let it shatter.

That's more more old fashioned method, just have to use kitchen shears to cut off any sharp edges.

Peanut butter cookies are another good non-dairy cookie and they're pretty quick to make in larger batches.

I picked up a silpat finally so hopefully I can keep my oven from burning everything so I can send some out.

May 03, 2013, 12:02:14 PM
Updated the OP with information. Added to the Calendar.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:04:57 PM by ransim »

May 03, 2013, 01:52:54 PM
Looks like it's coming together. Thanks for all your help. I'll be driving all over the Seattle are the Saturday before so I should be able to pick up from Lexi and Emi, if that's what works best for them. My husband is even going to help me bake. This will be great.

May 03, 2013, 10:23:35 PM
I look forward to hearing how well it goes!

May 06, 2013, 09:36:01 AM
I can bake cookies for the Invitational as well.  Chocolate Chip and maybe another staple, like sugar cookies, or whatever is most needed.  If this heat keeps up I'm thinking we don't want anything that melts too easily.

I'm local to the area and could drop them off the saturday prior at a convenient location.

May 06, 2013, 12:12:43 PM
Whatever you want to make will be great. Since we're out and about and sanctioned I'm actually going to pack a cooler and then maybe overflow if we need it. No ice, just cookies to keep them insulated, and maybe fudge depending on how it thaws.

May 07, 2013, 02:27:37 AM
So, I got some info from Jamie, and she's expecting between 100 - 140 people for the tournament. You may want to consider doing some bake sale style plates.

And a bucket full of cookies for Mike.

May 07, 2013, 04:45:45 PM
What's the deadline for providing confirmation of brigadier attendees to Jamie? Is there one?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:48:33 PM by emimonster »

May 07, 2013, 05:09:13 PM
She didn't give me one. I'll ask.
Thanks Paul, we'd already gone over numbers. Is there more you talked about with her that I should know?

May 07, 2013, 11:11:42 PM
I've tried like 3 times to edit my post. Is there a trick? Argh.

Anyway, Jamie says it's fine for one last minute addition. As long as it's not a whole bunch of people.

@Paul - I was planning on making all the PA staff favorites re Ransim's post. I don't get the bucket for Mike though, is that a thing? Or he just likes a lot of cookies?

May 08, 2013, 11:37:27 AM
I've tried like 3 times to edit my post. Is there a trick? Argh.

Anyway, Jamie says it's fine for one last minute addition. As long as it's not a whole bunch of people.

@Paul - I was planning on making all the PA staff favorites re Ransim's post. I don't get the bucket for Mike though, is that a thing? Or he just likes a lot of cookies?

Spoiler Warning - Strip Search
#t=649s

May 08, 2013, 01:23:52 PM

I picked up a silpat finally so hopefully I can keep my oven from burning everything so I can send some out.

Let me know how you like the silpat.  I used to have a pair I used (they're probably in a drawer somewhere), but I ended up switching back to parchment paper for most of my recipes.
A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week. - George S. Patton

May 08, 2013, 01:58:29 PM

Let me know how you like the silpat.  I used to have a pair I used (they're probably in a drawer somewhere), but I ended up switching back to parchment paper for most of my recipes.

I've used it a bit today, its actually doing what I needed it to do, which was make my crazy crappy oven stop burning cookies, so as far as the heat distribution goes it works extremely well on that front.

Really the only thing I don't like is the price but I think I might need to buy a second one, its nice to be able to make cookies again.

May 08, 2013, 02:10:15 PM
I have taken off work and I can confirm I can come and staff a table or drive a golf cart or whatever. Just let me know, I'm happy to do anything.

I will bring cookies with me (and maybe some non cookies since this is a unique opportunity to bring stuff that's not easy to carry around).

May 08, 2013, 03:49:12 PM
Yay Emi! Do you want to stay with me, or run a table somewhere? We'd probably switch places about halfway through.

Thanks ransim. I saw that. We're actually going to make pac man sandwich cookies for him, we got the idea after watching that.

Paul, great idea on the bake sale plates. That would be perfect for the mixer awards at the end. A grab and go kind of thing. I don't have a lot of experience with that, how do you suggest doing it?

After talking with Lexi, and Emi touched on it too, it sounds like this is a great opportunity for all those who want to go all out with decorating and more elaborate cookies. That is not my strong suit. But bring them on and I'll make sure they get displayed well. Also feel free to donate individual cookies, or put together a nice collection.

We're looking for about 300 cookies, 150 chocolate chip, 150 assorted fancy, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, so 75 fancy and 75 specialized diet. Grab and go collections on top of that.

Open to feedback here, does that sound good?

* Recent Posts

topic Updated Forum
[Brigade News]
amloca
July 14, 2019, 07:06:05 PM
topic Calling all Bakers: Recipes & Photos Wanted!
[Recipe Talk]
sweetycandy
June 11, 2019, 08:58:44 AM
topic cookie brigade and you
[General Chat]
daniel77
May 26, 2019, 07:21:27 AM
topic Orange Citrus (frosted cookie) recipe?
[Recipe Talk]
kintyre
May 02, 2019, 09:46:51 PM
topic The Cookie Brigade at PAX!
[General Chat]
adam77
April 04, 2019, 08:34:00 AM
topic Introduce Yourself
[General Chat]
kintyre
March 22, 2019, 04:05:15 PM
topic A school project