Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 16
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Thought to Increase Donations  (Read 3208 times)

October 04, 2013, 12:49:42 PM
I had a thought of one way to potentially increase donations. See if we can get some of the game companies involved.  I've been trying to brainstorm various geeky cookies, and one thing I thought of was plants vs. zombies. Simple shapes, not too detailed, easily recognizable, etc.  Well, considering it's both for a good cause, and free advertising, I was wondering if we could approach any of the game companies to do any form of donation matching. This is how I see it potentially working:

1. Estimate the approximate return on a cookie. For sake of argument, let's say $2.00
2. Instead of keeping track of what we actually earn on that cookie (giant headache!) we just have a count, and possibly a picture, of all cookies related to that companies game before they go out. Let's say, 30 Plants vs. Zombies cookies (with a pre-agreed maximum amount, in case we decided to make 500 pvz cookies). This also gives the company something that they could post on Facebook or their charity giving site, etc.
3. Popcap makes a "matched" donation of $60 to Child's Play.

I have someone from popcap that I could talk to about this, and I have a friend who is an attorney looking into any potential liability issues, but I thought that I would broach the idea here before mentioning it to her.

Good idea? Bad Idea?

October 04, 2013, 08:56:07 PM
It's a good idea. Let the organizers run it by some of the Penny Arcade people since they've asked to okay any corporate partnerships and this falls solidly into that realm. Give us a month or so to do that since we've already got a lot of questions we're waiting to hear back on. If we don't get back to you within a month, ping again. This could be really great, but we've been explicitly asked to check that out ahead of time.

October 05, 2013, 09:18:36 PM
Sounds good. Let me know if you need me to write up anything else, to help clarify any of the corporate sponsor type roles and have potential questions answered before they're asked.

November 12, 2013, 10:20:21 AM
As requested, it has been a month, so I am pinging again. :-)

January 09, 2014, 12:03:26 AM
Thank you so much for your patience. We're giving a cautious go ahead. Instead of a "matching" donation we'd prefer if it was worded as a straight sponsorship, so a donation of X amount per game themed cookie made. Also what would really be easy for us to track would be cosplayers. So distributor Y cosplays character Z from your company and brings in X amount of money. That is a lot easier for us to track.

If you wouldn't mind ccing me on the communication just to keep us in the loop Go ahead!

Anything I missed orgainzers?

February 17, 2014, 04:02:46 PM
I see a lot of opportunities here for smaller developers and local business to "sponsor" us for a donation. I am wondering if we could come up with some sort of communication templates? I'd be happy to work the local area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carissa Lynn James

Badges!
Google+
Facebook

February 19, 2014, 08:37:43 AM
With the idea of matching donations, it could even be approached in a similar way to donation drives for things like marathons (gaming or physical), where we do X amount of cookies (or raise X amount of money or whatever the donation mechanism is) and they (the company interested in donating) match to X amount of funds. On our end, we provide things like pictures from the event that they can use to raise community awareness (this is sort of what I look for when considering marketing options).

The packet of information could look very similar to those, with this type of structure:

Who is the Cookie Brigade (Mission Statement)
What is Child's Play
Examples of Cookies and other Treats (or cosplay or whatever is decided as the donation mechanism)
What we can provide to them (raising their community profile, donations to a charitable cause)
Pledge Form

This is just one idea for how to present it. If this looks interesting to the organizers, I'd be happy to do some more research into this sort of form and try to mock something up when I get some spare time this month.
Writer, baker, beard.
You should follow me on Twitter @amelton48

* Recent Posts

topic Orange Citrus (frosted cookie) recipe?
[Recipe Talk]
kintyre
May 02, 2019, 09:46:51 PM
topic The Cookie Brigade at PAX!
[General Chat]
adam77
April 04, 2019, 08:34:00 AM
topic Introduce Yourself
[General Chat]
kintyre
March 22, 2019, 04:05:15 PM
topic A school project
[Off-topic Chatter]
HereForASurvey
March 21, 2019, 07:59:18 PM
topic decorated short crust cookies
[Recipe Talk]
TastesPurple
January 16, 2019, 11:45:46 PM
topic "Scotch Eggs"
[Recipe Talk]
cavecibum
December 11, 2018, 05:32:11 PM
topic Earl Grey shortbread with lavender glaze recipe
[Recipe Talk]
cavecibum
December 06, 2018, 11:23:12 AM
topic Eggnog Cookies
[Recipe Talk]
cavecibum
December 06, 2018, 11:21:31 AM
topic Bacon Fat Gingersnaps
[Recipe Talk]
Alcmene
December 06, 2018, 10:41:10 AM
topic allergy-friendly white chocolate (vegan, grain-free)
[Recipe Talk]
supercarrot
November 28, 2018, 08:17:52 PM